Open Cascade CAD Assistant is a viewer and converter for 3D CAD and mesh files, free for both personal and commercial use.
CAD Assistant is based on open source libraries (Open CASCADE Technology, Qt, FreeType, FreeImage, etc.) and employs open formats for CAD and mesh data (STEP, IFC, IGES, BREP, glTF, JT, PLY, STL, OBJ, 3DM). It also supports a set of other file formats like DXF, SAT (ACIS), XT (Parasolid).
It is made to promote open technologies and brings the power of these technologies to the hands of engineers working with 3D data.
Originally developed as a testbed and showcase for the Open CASCADE Technology on mobile platforms, CAD Assistant has been appreciated as fast and handy 3D viewer by thousands of end-users worldwide on mobile and desktop platforms.
Open Cascade provides support and consulting services for its products and free applications, including CAD Assistant.
Please contact us if you have a request regarding CAD Assistant or are interested in other our services.
- Windows: download installer or ZIP archive.
- macOS®: install from DMG package.
- Android™: install from Google Play or download APK (ARM 32-bit, ARM 64-bit, Intel)
- iOS: install from App Store or get IPA archive.
- Linux: download AppImage.
Basic functionality is provided by XDE component of Open CASCADE Technology (OCCT).
- STEP (AP203, AP214 and AP242) — ISO 10303 standard for product data representation and exchange among CAD systems (ASCII format). Supported data: shape geometry, assembly structure, colors, names, validation properties, file information, dimensions and tolerances (semantic and tesellated PMI).
- IGES (5.1 and 5.3) — vendor-neutral format for data exchange among CAD systems (ASCII format). Supported data: shape geometry, colors, top-level object names, file information.
- glTF - API-neutral runtime asset delivery format (ASCII or binary), commonly supported by modeling systems and game engines. Supported data: shape geometry (triangulation), assembly structure, PBR metallic-rougness materials with texture maps, names.
- XBF - BinXCAF, which is a binary persistence format for universal XCAF document structure used by OCCT. Format accumulates persistence of various data which can be imported from other files formats like STEP, IGES, ACIS, glTF, etc.
- BREP - ASCII persistence of shape Boundary representation used by OCCT with open specification. Supported data: shape geometry and assembly structure (defined by nested compounds, without names).
- VRML or WRL - ISO 14772 virtual reality modeling language (ASCII format). Supported data: triangulation, assembly structure, colors, names.
Additional mesh file formats import is supported with help of Open Asset Import (COLLADA, 3DS, FBX, BLEND) and openNURBS® (3DM) libraries.
Assembly structure of the model can be navigated through the tree browser, displaying the names of parts and their instances in the assembly (if available). Assembly components can be hidden or shown as necessary to inspect the model. The selected sub-assembly or part can be queried for its properties including names, product information as well as geometrical ones (area, volume, and centroid).